Microsoft Windows is used by a large number of users around the world. But this fact doesn’t make the services of Windows free from faults. Many users report many issues related to the Windows OS that they are using. Recently, windows update service not running has become one of the most searched queries about Windows. This problem occurs when we are checking for updates in the Settings of Windows and then just after clicking on the button Check for Updates, we get a message saying Windows update can’t currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer. In case, you are one such user of Windows facing this problem, we have got every possible solution for it. Go through this article carefully. Here, we will be discussing every solution one by one.
1. Stop your Windows Update service and start it again:
This is the first and easiest trick to try at first. Many users have solved their problems like windows update service not running by simply restarting this service. Follow the steps mentioned below do this:
- Press Windows + R on your keyboard. This will open the utility window on the screen named Run.
- In that Run Utility window, type msc and then click on OK.
- Then, a list of services will open on the screen.
- Find the option called Windows update from that list. Right-click on it.
- From the context menu click on the option Properties.
- Here, you will see that the Windows Services its status as Start. Stop this service by clicking on the stop
After you are done with this procedure, start the windows update service again by following the same steps as mentioned above. Just click on option Start instead of Stop.
We hope that your problem must have resolved by this fix. If your problem still continues, look the next fix that we are going to discuss.
2. Re-register the following files of Windows Update:
If your windows update service not running issue is after trying the fix mentioned above, you should try this one. Follow the steps mentioned below to reregister the required files:
- Open the command prompt as administrator. (search command prompt in the search bar, right-click on it. Then select the option Run as administrator)
- Once the command prompt is open, type the following command there: regsvr32 wuapi.dll, regsvr32 wuaueng.dll, regsvr32 wups.dll, regsvr32 wups2.dll, regsvr32 wuwebv.dll, regsvr32 wucltux.dll
- After the execution of these commands is over, type exit in the command prompt.
- Then, restart your PC.
After completing this procedure see if your problem still persists. Your problem must have solved yet. In case, you are facing the same problem right now, proceed with the next fix.
3. Check if your Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver is up to date:
Many users wonder about what has this Driver to do with the problem we are talking about. But, I assure you that many users have fixed their issue of windows update service not running by updating their Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver. Follow the steps mentioned below to update this driver on your PC:
- Press the Start + R keys to open the Run Utility Box.
- Type msc in the search area and then click on OK.
- Expand the Disk Drive
- Find the Drive that uses the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver.
- Right-click on that device and then click on Uninstall
After finishing this process, install the latest version of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver. That can be downloaded from the official website of intel. Follow the further instructions to install this software on your PC.
4. Modify the settings for windows updates (only for older versions of the Windows):
Many users still use some older versions of Windows like Windows 7, XP. For such users we this special section. Here, we will tell you to alter some settings of Windows Update Service and your problem of windows update service not running will be resolved. Follow the steps mentioned below to make these changes:
- Open the Control Panel on your PC. (Control panel is right in the start menu. Open the start menu by clicking on the windows icon in the buttom-left corner of the screen)
- Click on the option called Windows Update.
- Now, click on the option Change Settings that is on the left side of the screen.
- Under the section Important Updates, Select Never check for updates (not recommended) from the drop-down list.
After doing this, go to the windows update section and check for updates. Now, you will be able to update your windows without any interruption.
After your update is finished undo the changed that you have just made in the important updates section.
We have discussed every possible solution to your problem of windows update service not running. If you are unable to fix this issue by all the fixes mentioned above, feel free to contact us. We have got a team of experts to solve all your issues related to PCs and phones. You can contact us through our website and the other contact details provided below.